Do you know what today is? It’s Mystery Dish Day! Every month, a group of us food-loving fools gets together to come up with recipes based on a “basket” of about 12 ingredients cooked up by one of the bloggers. It’s always interesting to see how we each come up with such different ideas from the same list of ingredients. And I like the creative challenge; it makes me feel like I’m on Chopped.
Last month, I was in charge of the list, and I made a Peppermint Bark Milkshake. This month’s list was compiled by Katie of Made to be a Momma. I loved her list because it let me create the perfect little desserts for Super Bowl Sunday! Here’s what I had to choose from:
- Poppy seeds
- Cream cheese
- Hot sauce
- Orzo Pasta
- Baby spinach
- Ritz crackers
- Fresh herbs ( any kind)
Can you guess which three I selected for my Lemon Poppy Seed Coconut Cookie Cups? It’s not hard to figure out! You know me – I’m always thinking ahead when it comes to food, so I created these to be light and refreshing for spring. That being said, their bite-sized poppableness (totally a word) makes them perfect for serving up at your Super Bowl celebration as dessert, so keep that in mind.
And yes, they’re easy too. A short ingredient list yields a tangy yet sweet and fluffy mousse filling studded with toasted coconut and piled upon a chewy lemon cookie. If that doesn’t sound tempting, then I don’t know what does.
Here’s what the other Mystery Dish ladies whipped up this month:
- Soft Lemon Poppyseed Cookies by I Dig Pinterest
- Mediterranean Roasted Spatchcock Chicken by Flavor the Moments
- Grilled Chicken & Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing by Inspiration Kitchen
- Lemon-Poppy Seed-Coconut Cookie Cups by The Smart Cookie Cook
- Skillet Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce by Simply Gloria
- (2-Ingredient) Strawberry Soda Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Yummy Healthy Easy
- Crunchy Baked Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Spicy Dipping Sauce by The Well Floured Kitchen
- Spinach Chicken Crepes with White Wine Cream Sauce by Living Better Together
- Lemon Poppyseed Coconut Waffles by Made to be a Momma
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- If you can’t find the Tollhouse cookie dough, you can use a plain sugar cookie dough.
- On a similar note, if you can’t find the brand of lemon filling I used, then use another brand.
- Be careful not to overwhip the heavy cream unless you want butter.
- The cornstarch serves to set up the whipped cream so it won’t separate.
- You must stir the coconut halfway through toasting it or it will burn on the edges.
Lemon Poppy Seed Coconut Cookie Cups
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 package Tollhouse Lemon White Chip Cookie Dough
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 23-oz. jar Clearbrook Farms Lemon Fruit Tart Filling
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop individual pieces of cookie dough into a mini muffin tin and bake until golden and set, about 10 minutes. As soon as they are done, use the rounded bottom of a spoon or spatula (I used the thick bottom of an ice cream scoop) to press indents into the center of each cookie while still warm, creating a little cookie bowl.
- Once cookies are cooled, gently remove from pan and set aside.
- Spread coconut out in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes. Stir and bake another 3 minutes or until golden. Let cool
- Beat cream, vanilla, and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl on high speed until stiff, fluffy peaks form. Fold in lemon filling, 3/4 of the coconut, and poppy seeds until evenly distributed.
- Pipe or spoon filling into cooled cookie cups. I like to use a makeshift Ziplock piping bag. Top with remaining coconut. Store in fridge in an air-tight container.