The two awesomest appetizers just united in my Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins. They’re spicy, they’re cheesy, and they’re unlike any finger food before it.
I’m such a baby when it comes to spice, so these potato skins kicked my butt. And yet, they were so delicious that I was chowing down through my tears of pain. You might not have known from my facial expressions that I was, in fact, loving every red-hot bite.
Others with a higher heat tolerance may try these and not see what all my fuss is about. But you will appreciate the flavor. Jalapeños provide an awesome amount of hot tanginess to partner with the tangy cheddar cheese and fresh chives. For a little crunch to mimic the breading of a jalapeño popper, we’ve got a crispy breadcrumb topping. We’re going to places no potato skin has gone before.
Making these was surprisingly easy. I used a little shortcut with Steamables potatoes. They’re tinier potatoes, making them the perfect size for a potato skin, and you just pop them right in the microwave. It’s minimal work.
Don’t worry about all the innards you’re left with after scooping out the skins; I’ll show you how to use those leftovers later this week.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Use any cheese you like. Pepper jack will give you even more kick, or maybe you want to drizzle them with queso cheese sauce.
- Make sure you leave a little “meat” in those potatoes so they stay sturdy.
- We bake the potato shells empty first because if we just popped them in with all the toppings, then the toppings would cook long before the potatoes are golden.
- Go light with the olive oil; we want them golden, but not greasy.
- Find the Steamables Potatoes in your produce section.
- I chop my chives with kitchen shears, right over top what I’m sprinkling them on.
Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 3 bags Simply Spuds Steamables Golden Potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced jalapeños (I used jarred)
- 1 box Extra Crispy Shake N’ Bake
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Optional for topping: sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook potatoes according to package directions. Half each potato lengthwise, then use a spoon to gentle scoop out the innards, leaving a thin layer of filling around the edges. Discard or save innards.
- Place potato skins on prepared trays in a single layer. Drizzle with oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until starting to turn golden.
- Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over potatoes. Place 1-2 jalapeño slices on each potato and sprinkle with 1-2 tsp. of breadcrumbs each (emptying both bags of Shake N’ Bake). Bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with fresh chives. Serve with sour cream, if desired, and enjoy.