I do strange things when I’m looking to cook up something exciting with a kitchen full of boring ingredients. That includes putting chips inside quesadillas, like with this Loaded Dorito Quesadilla.
I’ve seen Doritos really stepping out of their comfort zone lately, coating mozzarella sticks and breading chicken even. It makes you really look at a basic chip in a different way. When I was rifling through what scarce food I had on-hand yesterday, I saw all the building blocks for a mean quesadilla. But it still needed something: that Smart Cookie twist. When I laid eyes on the bag of Doritios, I knew I had my cheese-coated answer.
I oven-baked this easy, overflowing quesadilla in just 10 minutes. A high heat over the open-face tortilla turns the cheese to a gorgeous, bubbling lava and puts a golden crisp on the wrap. You fold it up right out of the oven and watch all the good stuff ooze out. It’s packed with pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheeses that are uncontrollably gooey, plus fresh peppers, tomatoes, black beans, green onions, and of course the Doritos. I like the unique crunch that the Doritos provide, plus they add this extra element of cheesiness.
It took my boyfriend all of five minutes to make this quesadilla vanish. And it’s a good thing too because I would’ve made it vanish if he didn’t get to it so quickly. For as whimsical as a Doritos-Stuffed quesadilla may seem, it’s quite hearty too. You can thank the whole wheat tortillas, the mountain of cheese, and the black beans for that.
This relationship between chip and quesadilla is so wrong, it’s right. Life is too short to not try putting your favorite foods together as one. That’s some “meaning of life” stuff right there.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- Don’t limit your add-ins to what I’ve included. Try salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, corn, or cilantro.
- For your meat eaters, try adding strips of chicken.
- The high oven heat is essential for melting your cheese and crisping the quesadilla.
- The key to perfectly slicing a quesadilla is creating a quick, sharp movement in one swipe with a sharp knife. Don’t baby it or hack away at it!
- I used sliced cheese because it holds together better than shredded.
Loaded Doritio Quesadilla
By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla
- 1 tbsp. taco sauce
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh scallions
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh sweet peppers
- 3 tbsp. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crushed Doritos
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Lay the tortilla on the pan. Spread taco sauce over top in an even layer. Lay cheese slices over evenly, covering as much of the tortilla as you can. Sprinkle on scallions, peppers, tomatoes, and beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and edges are golden brown. Immediately sprinkle Doritos over top and fold the tortilla in half onto itself. Slice into three and enjoy.