Every family has go-to make-ahead meals for their get-togethers, and one of our favorites is this Egg and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole.
I can’t tell you how long we’ve been making this for family holidays, especially Christmas morning; all I can say is that I can’t remember a time when we didn’t have it. This is an old Taste of Home recipe we like to doctor up with our own mix-ins. It’s so simple just to mix everything together, pour it into a pan, and stick in the fridge the night before. Then when you get up in the morning, you pop it into the oven and let it bake. That’s it! We spend so much time eating and cooking when we get together in my family that it’s such a relief to have a meal as simple and satisfying as this.
It’s a back-to-basics dish: eggs, hash browns, cheese, and whatever else your heart desires. You can add meats like bacon or sausage, or try different veggies like broccoli and onions. On this particular occasion, we went meatless and added scallions, which provided great flavor, and pepper jack cheese. That was a great change for a little kick!
The best part about this easy peesy and cheesy casserole is that it’s so filling. It will keep you full all morning long, which allows for maximum family fun without anyone getting HANGRY. Bonus: the leftovers reheat perfectly. So you even have the option of making this as a breakfast for you and your significant other all week. Cut it up and store in the fridge, then just reheat a slice in the microwave for breakfast.
I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as the Smart Cookie folks do! It’s effortless, tasty, and customizable.
A Few Tips Before You Get Cooking:
- You can serve this with hot sauce or sriracha for some added kick first thing in the morning.
- Got a lot of picky eaters to feed? Make this with just the egg, hash browns, and cheese, then create a topping bar of bacon, sausage, more cheese, veggie, etc. for people to build their own with after it’s baked!
- Other great add-ins are: tomato, spinach, kale, mushrooms, squash, carrot, chorizo, peppers, any cheese, chives, onions, ricotta, and more!
- You can save a couple bucks with the store-brand frozen hash browns.
Egg & Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Recipe Adapted From Taste of Home
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (scallions)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, like Ore Ida
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked to your liking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until evenly combined. Pour into the prepared ban and bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Slice and enjoy.